A pureed diet is in between a full liquid diet and a mechanical soft diet in consistency. It's useful for people who can't chew food properly due to illness or after certain types of surgery.
The pureed diet includes liquids and cooked foods that have been blended to the consistency of pudding or baby food so little or no chewing is necessary.
Most foods that can be cooked and pureed are allowed on this diet. Avoid foods like raw or dried fruits and vegetables, eggs, peanut butter, pasta, rice, dry bread, cookies, crackers, coconuts, nuts and seeds.
Foods Allowed on the Pureed Diet
- All liquids and beverages (nothing lumpy)
- Yogurt (without fruit)
- Pureed cooked fruits
- Pureed ripe banana
- Pureed cooked vegetables
- Cottage cheese
- Cooked cereals such as cream of rice or cream of wheat
- Smooth oatmeal
- Bread without crust, pureed with milk or water
- Pureed meats
- Hummus, pureed legumes
- Pudding or custard
- Ice cream, sherbet and yogurt (without fruit, nuts or chips)
- Butter or margarine
Here's an idea of foods you can eat on a pureed diet. The amounts can be adjusted to match your appetite and calorie needs.
- 1 cup fruit juice
- 1/2 cup cooked smooth oatmeal with sugar or honey and milk
- 1 glass of water or cup of coffee
- 1 cup yogurt with honey
- 1 cup tea
- 1/2 cup cooked pureed squash
- 1/2 cup pureed roast beef
- 1/2 cup mashed potatoes thinned with gravy
- 1/2 slice white bread pureed with fluid
- 1 glass of milk or soy milk
- Small milk shake
- 1 glass of water
- 1/2 cup pureed tuna with mayonnaise
- 1 cup cooked pureed mixed vegetables
- 1/2 cup creamed soup (no chunk of meat or vegetables)
- 1 glass of milk, soy milk or your favorite beverage
- 1 ripe banana pureed
- 1/2 cup vegetable juice
- 1 glass water
Other Diets Altered for Consistency
Maher AK. "Simplified Diet Menu." Eleventh Edition, Hoboken NJ, USA: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, October 2011.
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health. "Modified Diet: Pureed Diet." Accessed June 11, 2013. http://www.uwhealth.org/healthfacts/B_EXTRANET_HEALTH_INFORMATION-FlexMember-Show_Public_HFFY_1126658064324.html.