An aphrodisiac is something that arouses you or intensifies sexual desires. Aphrodisiacs are named after Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love and beauty. Throughout history, the title of aphrodisiac has been bestowed upon several foods that were thought to improve sexual function or fertility.
Some foods, like bananas and asparagus, were thought to be aphrodisiacs due to their manly forms. Others were prescribed by healers. For example, honey was frequently prescribed to newlyweds on their honeymoon.
Many of the foods and herbs that have been called aphrodisiacs are good for you (some of them are superfoods that may help you feel sexier). Perhaps the vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals or other antioxidants found in these aphrodisiacs are the real key to a healthy love life. Here are just a few aphrodisiac foods:
- Bananas are an excellent source of potassium as well as other minerals and vitamins. Bananas also contain an enzyme called bromeliad that is said to enhance male sexual health.
- Asparagus contains folate, a B-complex vitamin which is good for heart health and helps prevent a birth defect called spina bifida.
- Honey is an easy sugar to digest and contains small amounts of vitamins and minerals that other sugars do not.
- Avocados and slimcados contain vitamins, minerals, monounsaturated fats, and phytochemicals.
- Dark chocolate contains antioxidants that fight damage done by free radical exposure.
- Figs contain more minerals than most other fruits, plus a good dose of fiber.
- Almonds are a source of healthy fats and vitamin E, which is important for male sexual health.
- Pine nuts, like almonds, are a good source of healthy fats and vitamin E.
- Black beans contain protein, fiber and folate. They're also rich in tryptophan, an amino acid that helps you relax.
- Oysters contain zinc, which is necessary for sexual health.
- Strawberries are loaded with vitamin C and antioxidants that may reduce the risk of breast cancer.
Sexy Aphrodisiac Recipes
- Frozen Banana Salad is a sweet frozen treat perfect on a hot night.
- Salmon and Asparagus in Foil Packets combines the power of asparagus with the goodness of salmon. Plus the foil packets make clean up easy so you don't spend all night in the kitchen.
- Honey Baked Chicken is a sweet and spicy way to enjoy chicken.
- Avocado Dip with raw vegetables makes a nice appetizer.
- Dark Chocolate Sauce to drizzle on your ice cream, fruit or your favorite dessert.
- Pork Tenderloin and Fig Kebabs are a great way to cook with aphrodisiacs on the grill. This recipe has a touch of honey, too.
- Sauteed Spinach is made with olive oil. Spinach has lots of vitamins and minerals.
- Black Beans make a great side dish or as an alternative to high calorie fried beans.
- Grilled Oysters are great for appetizers on the grill.
- Strawberry Spinach Salad is a sweet and delicious salad with lots and lots of vitamins and minerals. A lovely way to start a romantic dinner.