If you're looking for ways to get more nuts and seeds into your diet, try these:
- Experiment with different types of nut or seed butters instead of peanut butter on whole grain breads or apple slices.
- Sprinkle nuts and seeds on a healthy salad.
- Sliced almonds taste great on fish or vegetable dishes.
- Roast your own pumpkin seeds in the oven.
- Coarsely grind some nuts or seeds and add one-fourth to one-half cup to your favorite whole grain bread recipe or bread machine mix.
Amaral JS, Casal S, Seabra RM, Oliveira BP. "Effects of roasting on hazelnut lipids." J Agric Food Chem. 2006 Feb 22;54(4):1315-21.
Spiller GA, Miller A, Olivera K, Reynolds J, Miller B, Morse SJ, Dewell A, Farquhar JW. "Effects of plant-based diets high in raw or roasted almonds, or roasted almond butter on serum lipoproteins in humans." J Am Coll Nutr. 2003 Jun;22(3):195-200.