Baby bok choy is similar to the grown-up bok choy you can find in most grocery stores, but it's more tender and I like the flavor better. It's easy to prepare as a simple stir fry (our About.com Chinese Cooking guide has a recipe here).
I don't really use a recipe when I prepare it. My version goes like this:
- Wash the baby bok choy.
- Add a little canola oil to a heavy frying pan and wait until it gets hot (I need to buy a wok one of these days).
- Toss in a small handful of chopped onions and a bit of garlic, stir fry for a minute or so.
- Add a couple handfuls of Japanese mushrooms, like shitaki, oyster and king trumpet mushrooms, stir fry for a couple of additional minutes.
- Add baby bok choy and stir fry until tender.
- Add a little ginger, some soy sauce and oyster sauce.