1. Health
Shereen Jegtvig, MS

My New Favorite Thing - Baby Bok Choy

By July 22, 2013

baby bok choyMy son loves Japanese foods so when he's in town, we make a trip to the closest Japanese market. While he's off looking for his favorite noodles, sushi rice and snacks, I look over the fresh vegetables and mushrooms. I'm always ecstatic when they have bags of fresh baby bok choy.

Baby bok choy is similar to the grown-up bok choy you can find in most grocery stores, but it's more tender and I like the flavor better. It's easy to prepare as a simple stir fry (our About.com Chinese Cooking guide has a recipe here).

I don't really use a recipe when I prepare it. My version goes like this:

1. Wash the baby bok choy.
  2. Add a little canola oil to a heavy frying pan and wait until it gets hot (I need to buy a wok one of these days).
  3. Toss in a small handful of chopped onions and a bit of garlic, stir fry for a minute or so.
  4. Add a couple handfuls of Japanese mushrooms, like shitaki, oyster and king trumpet mushrooms, stir fry for a couple of additional minutes.
  5. Add baby bok choy and stir fry until tender.
  6. Add a little ginger, some soy sauce and oyster sauce.
I like to serve with some cooked brown rice and I always add some sriracha sauce (and maybe some additional soy sauce). Simple and delicious.
Comments
July 24, 2013 at 10:57 am
(1) Art Barger says:

I am under the impression that Canola oil used for frying is unhealthy..that we should stick to oils derived from seeds? Is this not the case?

July 28, 2013 at 10:31 am
(2) Shereen Jegtvig says:

Art, canola oil comes from a seed. There are some old rumors about it being dangerous because it was originally bred from rapeseed plants that are high in erucic acid. It’s actually got a healthful fatty acid profile. http://nutrition.about.com/od/askyournutritionist/f/canola.htm

July 24, 2013 at 11:14 am
(3) Lesley Carol Prince says:

Your baby bok choy recipe is a winner. The combination of ingredients including, especially, the hot sauce, make for a spicy, hot, yet smooth dish. The mushroom are an inspiration. Ichiban!

July 25, 2013 at 12:51 am
(4) Ananda Weerakkody says:

My God! I got a shock, about your bok choy!!!

when you said you use CONOLA OIL to fry onions and garlic and add mushroom. Stir fry for few minutes???
You are talking of health, sending emails all over
the world, spreading wrong massage.
1. Do you know, Conola Oil is the worst vegetable
oil?
2. You don’t stir fry Mushrooms for two or three minutes? They must be thoroughly cooked, and you don’t know that too???

I had some respect for you before this email.

July 25, 2013 at 1:27 pm
(5) Martha says:

Hi Shereen; your recipe is a good one – thanks. I’m wondering if grapeseed oil is a better choice for stir-frying – or the rice oil now available through Trader Joe’s? Very interested in your opinion about rice oil because it’s light in color and sold in a clear bottle…

July 28, 2013 at 10:29 am
(6) Shereen Jegtvig says:

Might be, Martha. I’ve never tried grapeseed for a stir-fry. I’d think the rice oil would be wonderful.

July 31, 2013 at 4:05 pm
(7) phylameana says:

Shereen, add some fresh ginger along with your onions and garlic and I’ll be SO belly-up to your dining table with a salivating mouth. ! I love bok choy… baby bok choy isn’t as easily attainable in my region but sure it would be delicious.

July 31, 2013 at 10:15 pm
(8) Shereen says:

Phyl, yes. That’d be perfect. I usually forget to buy fresh ginger, so I end up with powdered ginger. Definitely not as delicious.

August 3, 2013 at 10:18 pm
(9) Ruth says:

Great recipe! It’s a favorite. It would be fun to grow Bok Choy.