1. Health
Shereen Jegtvig, MS

Least Important Meal Of the Day?

By November 13, 2012

confused man with muffin and coffeeA couple of weeks ago, Cindy Nellis, our awesome Guide to Women's Fashion at About.com said something that made me giggle:

"Y'know, you never really hear much about which one is the least important meal of the day..."

But then I thought about it -- and it's true! We're constantly told that breakfast is the most important meal of the day - and it probably is because it sets the tone for your day, as far as eating goes. But... if breakfast is the most important meal of the day, which one is the least important? Maybe lunch -- it's easy to ignore, especially if you have a mid-morning snack. However, it may be good because it gives you a break from work unless you work at your laptop that's on your kitchen table - (what, who me??). I'd say dinner is important because studies indicate eating dinner together as a family is good for everyone, including the kids. But, if you live alone or work at night, then dinner may not be a big deal.

Tell me what you think is the least important meal of your day, and leave a comment to tell me why...

Image © Shoots/iStockphoto

Comments
November 14, 2012 at 10:58 am
(1) Betty says:

Dinner is a grab and run or a “I’ve had lunch only a few hours ago and I’m not hungry” type of meal. If breakfast is nutritious enough and lunch filling enough, a snack (popcorn, fruit, scrambled eggs or something light) usually fills the void between supper (last meal of the day) and breakfast the next morning.

By the way, “Dinner” is the main meal of the day, eaten in the evening or at midday. “Supper” would be more correct. Supper: the evening meal, often the principal meal of the day.

November 14, 2012 at 11:10 am
(2) Reva Dowse says:

Each meal is important , at our house.

November 14, 2012 at 11:23 am
(3) Robina Baig says:

I think all 3 meals are important. They have to be balanced with something from all of the food groups

November 14, 2012 at 12:55 pm
(4) NS Gill says:

Being a grazer, I have trouble with large (esp. dinner) meals. If I’m going to eat a big meal, I would rather have it at lunchtime, and since I frequently get the bulk of my exercise done before a late lunch, lunch often winds up hearty. I feel lethargic after a big meal, so even a big lunch is taken in stages. Like dinner vs supper today, the fashionable Roman meal’s name changed over time, so my biggest meal would be my cena whenever eaten. (http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/romanfood/p/RomanMeals.htm)

November 15, 2012 at 10:55 am
(5) debby says:

every meal is important to me.

November 16, 2012 at 1:42 am
(6) sonal says:

all the three meals are important because all the 3 meals we take at different time were actually body require engery to sustain the vital organ and fulfill external activities.

November 26, 2012 at 3:42 pm
(7) LazyLinda says:

Well, breakfast is important, because it starts your day. Lunch is also important because it gets you THROUGH the day. With out dinner, though, you would spend hours at night before “breaking the fast (breakfast…)” which is too long to go without food. Therefore, all meals are equally important, working in harmony- You cannot place one more important than the other.