1. Health
Shereen Jegtvig, MS

Taco Bell Diet?

By January 11, 2010

Taco Bell is feeding off of the usual post-holiday weight loss season by pushing their own Drive-Thru diet. Their campaign is based on the experience of a woman named Christine who claims to have lost over 50 pounds will maintaining her fast food habit. Of course, Taco Bell goes on to say this really isn't a weight loss program, but only in the fine print.

Can you really lose weight with fast food? Well, sure if you eat less of it and choose items lower in calories. But is it a healthy way to lose weight? Not if you eat this way every day. The items on the Drive-Thru Diet menu are high in sodium and there's no mention of calcium, iron, vitamin A and vitamin C content.

Personally, I don't like fast food (although I loved it as a kid) because I just don't feel good after I eat it. I can't imagine trying to lose weight while making regular trips to Taco Bell or any other fast food place. What do you think about the Taco Bell Drive-Thru diet?

Comments
January 11, 2010 at 2:13 pm
(1) Connie G. says:

For a diet to truly work, it has to be sustainable. As much as I love Taco Bell (and I do love it!), there’s no way I would want to eat there that much and also, I’d have a hard time sticking to just the items on the “diet plan.” I am working hard to lose weight – no drive thru period for me, just balanced diet and exercise and it is working!

January 11, 2010 at 2:59 pm
(2) Zach Brenna says:

Hello Shereen! While the greatest way to loss weight in a utopia would be to completely cut any and all fast food from our diet, too bad we are all caught in jams were fast eats is the best and some times only option. Taco Bell could do a better job of simply promoting the fact that of all the fast food options, they have the largest variety of low fat high fiber foods(with a drive-thru that is). They don’t make information about vitamin nutrition available online. But it does seem that with the layers of tomato, onion, beans, avocado, ect. on MANY of there burritos, they do a better job then one or two small tomato slices on a half pound of grease beef!

January 11, 2010 at 3:17 pm
(3) Shereen Jegtvig says:

Zach – good point with the comparison of the Fresco menu items with a big greasy burger! But the Fresco items are still high in sodium and I bet they don’t have a great abundance of fresh vegetables since those are pretty expensive ingredients. Plus – they’re not that big so it might take a number of these items for a lot of people to feel full.

For most people it’s really fine to have the occasional fast food meal, but not so good if it becomes a habit.

January 12, 2010 at 11:36 am
(4) Julie Jenson says:

This really just sounds like another fad diet… Completely agree with viswiss, it’s about lifestyle

January 13, 2010 at 10:30 am
(5) maribeth says:

You gotta admit, it DID get your attention and it DID make one consider the idea, even if it was for just a moment. But alas, the reality is as stated in the earlier posts. Moderation,better choices and not to mention the added savings of not eating out. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted!!! :D

January 13, 2010 at 1:57 pm
(6) Jolynn says:

omg, do you know how addictive that food is? talk about excitotoxins

January 13, 2010 at 5:57 pm
(7) Glory says:

If you’re going to eat fast food once in awhile, it’s nice to have a choice that doesn’t completely break the diet bank.

January 14, 2010 at 10:41 am
(8) Beat Menopause Weight Gain says:

This is just the corporate world homing in on people’s fears about their weight, and is typical of so many of the half-truths we see used to promote numerous products as ‘healthy’ when, in reality, they’re anything but. Yes, have a fast food meal now and again, and the rest of the time eat healthily, and you’ll be fine. But don’t pretend to yourself that you can eat this stuff day in, day out, and your overall health won’t suffer.

January 20, 2010 at 10:38 am
(9) nancy says:

My husband and I laugh every time we see this commercial…unfortunately their are people who will try this “diet”.

January 20, 2010 at 10:41 am
(10) Jack says:

The food industry is a joke—-all smoke and mirrors all the while America’s wasitline and children pay the price. Watch Food Inc or King Corn and it will open your eyes to the truth.

January 20, 2010 at 2:23 pm
(11) bert says:

. . . watch “Super-size Me” and you’ll never eat fast food again . . .

January 23, 2010 at 9:39 pm
(12) hishealer says:

I can’t see eating fresco every day, but it’s great to know that I can eat out with my garbage-gut husband and still stick to my diet every now and then.

February 1, 2010 at 4:18 pm
(13) Carl says:

I can walk in to almost any fast food place and get a healthy meal. They usually have 1 or 2 things I can order or I will make a special order. I went into taco bell and special order something b/c their drive-thru diet wasn’t part of my diet.

June 24, 2010 at 1:46 am
(14) Jason Scott says:

The best part is that it IS sustainable. OK you cannot do the taco bell menu every day but you can mix it up with other fast food menus. Un-sustainable diets are ones that require people to deviate from there prefered, call it, lazy, norms. They want fast food every day – so the best thing to do is design a diet that revolves around the ease and low price of fast food. If you design a diet that is easy to implement then it will be sustainable.
The fact is that usually you go on a diet and jump through hoops for months eating special foods. Then quit the diet and BAM back come the pounds. But if you just train yourself to eat the Al Fresco taco bell items with Diet instead of sugar soda you have a fighting chance. Same as when you go to Carl’s Jr and order lettuce wrapped chicken sandwich instead of the bun wrapped burger – slight deviations are more sustainable! Kudos for Taco Bell for trying to add some easy to eat diversity.